Our Smarty Pants

In a strange coincidental way, Izzy is already moving up in the scholastic world. Her school had a few too many kids in Kindergarten and grade 1. So they had to make a combined class, taking some kids from each grade. With all the many changes we have gone through (moving 500 miles, leaving behind friends and family and church, etc.), I was not thrilled Izzy was chosen to go to the new K/grade 1 class. I am so ready to be settled, but we still have changes to go through yet and one in school was to one I had planned for.  I will admit, I was worried she was chosen for dumb reasons- like she's too tall for K, or because she was a troublemaker (got a warning note for hitting the first week of school), but it wasn't for those reasons, thankfully :)
It seems we truly have a smarty pants on our hands. Interestingly enough, Robert had the same experience in a K/1 class and I only went to K in the mornings, then grade 1 in the afternoon. So our school history is repeating itself  with Izzy. Her school assessed all the kindergarteners and the more advanced ones were chosen to move to the combined class. (The first graders were chosen by last enrolled). Her new class is filled with more "news" to get used to, but after 3 days she had adjusted and seems happy with her new teacher, class and classmates. The principle and teacher assured us that the Kindergarteners were ready for grade 1 material but would not be expected/forced to keep up with the grade 1 pace. Since Izzy doesn't read yet, I was surprised of the assessment, but then again, she learns quickly and soaks in everything she hears.
Within a week of her new class, she had started role-playing teacher/class at school and the way she mimics the teacher indicates she now has a fantastic one.
Hopefully the rest of the year will go smoothly and she will thrive in her new surroundings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Closer than ever