bye-bye Tonsils. bye-bye Strep

Levi and Izzy have always been blessed with good health. Izzy breastfed a year and Levi, for 20 months. I was so happy that we rarely had to go to the Pediatrician in Nashville, except for well-child visits and the occasional cold. So it was quite a shocker to have to go to the Dr so many times for being "seriously sick" this last year, and in a new town with a new Dr, no less! Thankfully, I found a wonderful family doctor, who we all see, and it has been a huge blessing. I could call her office and she would see us all in 1 visit if needed, or call in antibiotics if it was late...She knew when I called it meant the real deal and took us seriously.




After a year of living in Florida, Levi, at the age of 3, had surgery earlier in June to take out his tonsils and adenoids.  Sadly, we have had the worst luck with getting recurring strep infections since moving to Tallahassee. I personally, am convinced that when our little thumb-sucker, Izzy started Kindergarten (yes, she still sucks her thumb. :( she somehow picked up strep and brought it home to share...and then remained a carrier. It didn't matter how much we washed our hands, cleaned our house and sterilized toys, Levi just kept getting sick. Izzy didn't get strep, but she would get impetigo (infection in her skin) I had it twice and felt like death, so I can't imagine how he felt all those times & Robert never had it... After 7 confirmed cases of strep infections for Levi in 9 months, the specialist, a ENT finally gave us the green light for surgery. Levi was literally sick every 5 weeks, then would have a round of 10 days on antibiotics to clear it up. They almost came out in January, but due to young children having higher risks of complications with dehyradtion and bleeding, the Dr. really wanted to wait until Levi turned 3.
Spiderman wasn't interested in wearing a hospital gown.

Waiting in preop was a bit tough, but we tried to keep him preoccupied.

He thought the Alligator Chomping game was hilarious. 

Waking up a bit groggy. So, so very  hard to see him in pain. 

As soon as he was alert, he started on popsicles...

4 popscicles later and we were good to go!

Levi was a true tough guy and handled surgery and even recovery very, very well. He was so brave in the hospital. He was mostly mad that he was hungry and we weren't letting him eat - kinda got HANGRY while we waited in preop. He wore his Spiderman pjs to the OR and had a favorite stuffed animal (penguin from uncle Mark) in tow with him. I liked the RN and CRNA a lot but still teared up when we sent him off.
Surgery went really well and the doctor said his adenoids indicated another infection in the works, so it was good we got him in. They knew I was a nurse and requested I come to PACU to help him wake up a little happier. It was heartbreaking to see him in pain, but we rocked for an hour, then I carried him to recovery room where Daddy was. He soon became less groggy and just wanted popsicles. He ate 4 in the hospital so they discharged us an hour earlier than planned. We gave him strong pain meds (a PICU RN friend told me to keep that going every 4 hours) and he was wanting to eat bread and yogurt by dinner time. He didn't stick to the clear liquid diet, but we felt bad not giving him food when he was so pitiful and he was just doing great with popsicles' and water. We played lots of games, puzzles, lego and blocks while we watched Little Einstein's on Netflix for 3 days straight!
Pitiful, but being such a brave big boy.


We took him off Lortab after 2 days due to constipation, and he just bounced back to normal. On day 5, he was in pain again so I thought his stitches were coming off. But then at 3 weeks out, he was laughing and I saw blue stitches still intact at the back of his mouth on both sides. I'm thankful for no complications and a great recovery and especially that he is much healthier already- eating better meals even and not snoring. Turns out he did have enlarged tonsils and will just be better off without them. Praise God. Needless to say, I am glad they are gone and we look forward to being healthier this year!

Bye Bye Strep! Hopefully, for forever!

Comments

  1. That is so great that they let you go back to wake him up since you are a nurse. I hope you guys all have a much healthier year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Closer than ever