We have 2 swimmers!

The first 2 weeks of Summer included swim lessons for our kiddos, which made the transition from school to summer absolutely FLY by. I'm really thankful we did them though.
 


Izzy,(who is now 47" tall) had never had official lessons but tells everyone she can swim. Our girl does not lack for self-confidence in ANY way! I was leary of her saying that on the first day, but then so proud when she was pretty much doing what the girls who had lessons for 2 or 3 years could do. By the end of the two weeks, she knew how to do backstroke and butterfly strokes. Now that we are done with lessons, she seems to prefer swimming underwater, without strokes & just kicking, so I keep reminding her to do strokes. She gets annoyed with me. (I feel like a mom of a teen already sometimes)... She is very comfortable jumping off the diving board and swimming across the deep end! Makes me happy that I don't have to worry as much about her in the water now.


Levi actually only went half the time, but he went from clinging to the steps and/or handrail to willingly dunking himself in the water. Levi is way more confident now that he knows he can touch in the 3 ft part (he is 40" tall now). Coach Randi made him go under and when he didn't, she'd just push his head under for him. It was a tough-love-learning style, but really for a kid with reservations, the only way to get over his fears, it seems. He is still a bit timid going fully under, but has improved immeasurably and his way to being a little swimmer too!



They both had a great time, especially since they had some of their closest friends with them. I'm so glad we got this out of the way early this Summer! We look forward to spending the rest of our summer in the water -without floaties!


After all, life is better at the beach (or swimming)!






 





 


 






Comments

  1. That is awesome that they are both swimming! Jack just started his lessons last week and is getting more comfortable in the water. Hopefully he will have a lot more confidence by the end of the summer. On the way to his 2nd lesson, he told me that he could jump off the diving board because his goggles would protect him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. That is cute. Hope he continues to like it - Levi went from being nervous to be holding the rail, to diving in alone! Today Levi just jumped off the diving board, with no adults in the deep end or nearby. He managed to tread water and keep his head up, while another day swam from the shallow part to rescue him. He went from no fear to fearless in water. A little scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that Levi made such great progress. Unfortunately we haven't gotten very far – lessons keep getting cancelled due to weather :( Jack is definitely more comfortable in the water now, but I wouldn't say he is swimming. I'm considering asking to do daily lessons for the next week instead of 1-2 each week since he is not making as much headway as I would like.

      Delete
  3. That is a good Idea. Levi went for 4 days straight and then I work with him about twice a week. Izzy went for 11 out of 12 days straight and is practically a mermaid now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Closer than ever