My last shift at Germantown L&D

Well if you read this blog, you already know that the Stewarts will be a-Mov'in' soon!! Yay!! 4 years ago exactly we moved to Memphis for Robert to complete his Masters at HUGSR and then our plan was to move to Nashville. We had a great 4 years here, complete with a wonderful Church family, great friends, good memories, and good jobs. Many people have been surprised now that the time has come and we are moving - I say, Yes, you can do what you set out to do, and I am ALL about that! So to Nashville we go in about 1 week!

Tonight is my very last shift working as a nurse in Memphis. Man, I have grown so much (and learned even more about what I am doing) since I moved here as a brand-spanking new nurse! My first "career" job was amazing. I thank God that He placed me in a job that to everyone else was going to be a dead-end job. But I had a gut feeling that I would love it, and I did. I'm so glad I have gut feelings that I go with!! That first RN position was at Methodist North - a small (inner-city population, but country feel) hospital that was LDRP & Nursery (we labored our patients, then kept them) - it was the best set up with some of the most amazing nurses I've ever worked with. Literally a perfect OB team. My North girls were all my mentors and many of them became some of my closest friends, with so many wonderful memories. I learned so much there, grew up a lot, and I also truly grew to love what I do - delivering babies, no matter how wild, crazy or scary things might have gotten. Sadly they closed the unit after I worked there for 2.5 years, and I went to work at Methodist Germantown - just straight up L&D. Babyfactory style - where there are many good nurses, but things just were not as good due to the economy and managment, etc. Then things got way worse when they opened a new building and spread us way too thin. I hung in there, but was also a new mom who just wanted to be home with my baby, but instead continued to work full time, toted around a breastpump for 8 months and tried to the best job I could in a hectic environment. I have had a lot of ups and downs here, and I delivered my baby here which was a wonderful experience, but I am just ready to move on. Sometimes when you know you are leaving a place and things get bad, it is very easy to just disconnect and be so ready to move on. That is where I am at.
I have learned that the grass is not always going to be greener on the other side...in fact, I doubt I will ever find anywhere to work that was as amazing as Methodist North. I am thankful for my experiences here, but am ready for a change. To my friends at Germantown, you know who you are, thank you for all your love, support and friendship. I pray things get better for you.
I am going to stay in labor and delivery when we move because I love to take care of pregnant people and birth babies. I am blessed to have a career that I love.

In the meantime...I am looking forward to having the next 10 days off and being with my family and friends, savoring up a few of our favorite Memphis things. BUT, my house is a mess, I seriously need to do laundry, I have got to get going on my packing, and about 100 other things. Hopefully I won't get too behind on my posts!

Comments

  1. I'm at work tonight and realized wow I'm not gonna work with Angela here probably ever again. It was sad :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Closer than ever