St. George Island was calling my name...

Each time we visit Florida, I always hope for a trip to the beach can be involved. Most of the time, it works out for us to go for at least a day. Since Robert grew up in Florida, he is not as big of fan of beach-trips...mostly because he remembers the agony of sunblock, sun and sunburns, I think! He tried to tell me it wouldn't be a good idea to take Isabella to the beach yet, but St. George Island was calling my name. It's a two hour drive from my in-laws house, but in my opinion, it's well worth it. I know how much Izzy likes the outdoors, the wind, water and exploring - so I thought it'd all work out. I was wrong.
Izzy seemed to really want to love the beach, but she ended up feeling just plain miserable. Initially, we all enjoyed sitting in the shade with a cool breeze for lunch. But it went downhill after that - when I started to get Izzy ready for the sun and sand, we ran into our first problem. Izzy wouldn't wear her hat. And she was tired when we arrived (and she rubs her eyes A LOT when she is tired), so once I applied the sunblock, she started to rub her eyes, and rubbed sunblock right into them! Her whole left side of her head and face broke out and her eye just about swelled shut. I felt pretty awful for her, but she never cried once.
Robert had just got the umbrellas up on the beach, so I took her down to the ocean anyways and Izzy just walked right in, and kept going, waves crashing around her and all! She had no fear and was so impressed with all the water, swollen face or waves were not going to slow her down! she was also really into the feel of the sand! I tried to show her about sandcastles, but then she rubbed sand and saltwater in her eyes, so we had to end her ocean experience then. I took her to the showers and we rinsed off and she seemed to do much better after that.
I wish her face hadn't broken out because I know she would have had a great time. Luckily I had benadryl with me, so I gave her some and then she conked out with Mim holding her under the pavilion. I've never seen her sleep so hard in the middle of the day! I am glad she is a tough little trooper because while she looked pretty rough, she still hung in there!
I laid on the beach while Robert sat next to me under the umbrella (because he is a supportive husband who knows I LOVE the beach, even though he is not a fan!) And we talked about my 1st Florida visit and 1st beach-trip, to St. George Island 8 years ago. We have such good memories there and we are looking forward to taking Izzy back once she gets bigger and doesn't rub her eyes so much!
Izzy saying Boo to car rides. She cracks me up.
Getting all set to head to the beach with Mim! Both Mim and Robert seemed to know exactly how this day would go, but they both let me have my beach day. Thanks guys!
Love it!

Post breakout on face, headed to the water. Hope this doesn't make me world's worst mother.
See, I knew she'd love the OCEAN!
No fear baby, walked right in, waves and all.
She didn't feel well, but she hung in there for beach excitement!
whitest family on beach. Nice. haha
I really really LOVE the beach.
Thank you Benadryl. Izzy enjoyed her nap in Mim's arms.
We'll be back
Robert, Mim and Izzy

Hoping next year goes smoother!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labor Day Weekend 2010

Closer than ever